How to Register for an Italian Class
Students who have taken Italian before college and plan to continue at Hopkins must take the departmental placement exam before registering for an Italian class. This exam is available online year-round; for the most accurate placement recommendation, take it just before the semester you actually plan to study the language.
If you have successfully taken the pre-requisite courses for the class, you do not need to take the placement test.
If you have little or no previous exposure to Italian, register for Italian Elements 1 (210.151); you do not need to take the placement test.
Italian Placement Exam
The Italian placement exam is divided into three parts. Your previous knowledge of Italian will determine which parts of the exam you will need to take:
- Take part 1 of the placement exam if you have had one to two years of Italian instruction and/or you have spent at least two months studying in Italy.
- Take parts 1 and 2 of the placement exam if you have had three to four years of Italian instruction and/or you have spent at least six months studying in Italy.
- Take parts 1, 2, and 3 of the placement exam if you have had five or more years of Italian instruction and/or you have spent at least one year studying in Italy.
You are allowed to take this test only once. If you start the test, you will have to complete all the applicable parts without taking a break. You should allow for at least 45 minutes per part. The maximum time that is allowed for each part is 60 minutes.
Questions regarding the exam or your score should be sent to Professor Alessandro Zannirato.
To access the online placement exam:
- Go to http://blackboard.jhu.edu and log in. If you are a JHU student, use the JHU Enterprise Authentication link (left side) and log in with your JHED ID and password. If you are not a JHU student, use the Non-JHED login link (right side) to log in with a guest account. Note: Please contact email@example.com if you need a guest account.
- Once inside Blackboard, click the following link to be added to the Italian Language Placement Exam site: https://blackboard.jhu.edu/webapps/blackboard/execute/enrollCourse?context=Org&course_id=_5965_1
- Once the enrollment screen pops up, click the Submit button and then click OK.
- Return to Blackboard and locate the My Organizations module on the My Institution page. (You may have to refresh the page.) Click the link for the Italian Language Placement Exam.
- Click the ‘Take placement exam” link in the upper-left menu.
- Choose “Italian Placement Exam – Part 1.”
- If appropriate, continue on to parts 2 and 3 of the exam.
Important: Once you are finished taking the exam, please e-mail Professor Zannirato and let him know that you have taken the exam.
You will receive an enrollment recommendation within seven working days. You may register for an Italian class at the approved level as soon as registration opens for your cohort.