We encourage our undergraduate students to study abroad. Students need to get approval for their proposed program from the Italian section’s director of undergraduate studies prior to their departure. Please contact the JHU Office of Study Abroad to discuss your plans to study abroad.
Options for Studying in Italy
Hopkins Semester Programs
- Bologna: Hopkins will soon be offering semester programs at the University of Bologna. In the interim, qualified Hopkins Italian majors are encouraged to apply to the University of Bologna through Brown University.
- Rome: Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies (administered by Duke University). ICCS Rome offers classics majors and minors the opportunity to study ancient history, archaeology, Greek and Latin literature, Italian language, and ancient art in Rome.
Vetted Semester Programs
Some courses may be taken for requirements/upper-level electives with prior approval by the Italian section’s director of undergraduate studies.
- Florence: Intersession Italian Literature Course (can be taken for major/minor requirements)
- Florence: Intersession Art History Course
- Bologna: Summer Italian Language Acquisition Course (can be taken for major/minor requirements)
- Bologna: Summer Film and Media Studies Course
- Bologna: Summer Political Science Course